Saturday, October 31, 2009

Ghostly trees

As I was pondering what I would write about this week I was staring out the kitchen window at the backyard.  From my perch at the table my eye was drawn to a lovely Conifer tree in the flower bed.  Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Pendula' (I love to say this name)  or Weeping Nootka False Cypress is a tree I planted several years ago when it was not much more than a twig.  I had purchased it in Guelph at a spring sale at the Arboretum there.  It has taken its time becoming established.  Little by little each year it grew.  This year it is approximately 6ft (1.8meters) tall and at it's base 5ft (1.5 meters) wide.  The mature size for the tree will be 33ft (10meters) tall.
What strikes me about the tree when I look at it is that it looks so sad or today being Halloween, a bit ghostly, with its drooping branches and the little nodding hook at the top.  Soon I will need to move all the plants growing at its base to another location to allow our "Nootie" space to grow.


My husband put his "two cents worth" in when I mentioned what I was writing about.  He thought the the leafless Walnut tree looked more ghostly with its annual pest of Fall Webworm carcasses hanging from the branches.  You be the judge.
 

No comments:

Hoping You Have a Blessed Easter