Saturday, September 4, 2010

A New Grass for Straight Out of the Camera Sunday

I am sure you have done this once or twice.  You go to the grocery store for just a couple of things and come out with items that you had never even thought about.  Well, I did this the other morning.  I was going to the "Loblaws Superstore" for some items I needed and before I even got in the doors I came upon a cart of grasses.   I have plenty of grasses but this one I did not have.  It is Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln'.   It is so cute with those little fuzzy plumes.  I just had to have it.  This is decribed as a deciduous companct form of fountain grass. Buff coloured bloom panicles arch and appear from August through October. Golden russet colour to the foliage in the fall.  Drought tolerant.  Zone 5-9.   Now I just have to find a good spot to plant him.

Join Jan at Murrieta365 for Straight Out of the Camera Sunday where you post a photo that has not been edited (crops allowed).   Valerie

13 comments:

A Garden of Threads said...

I have that grass and it is sooo cute. Great shot. Take care.

Karen said...

Great photo! You're going to like 'Hameln' it is a great plant here in my Z4 garden.

Cyndy said...

That is a nice grass, and it's true - I've also discovered little cuties for the garden while at the grocery store:)

Jan said...

Great shot. I've never thought of grass a cute; lush, green, soft, never cute. Those darn grocers; they'll get you every time.

Ewa said...

That's a great capture of the grass!!

ilanadavita said...

Great photo! Hope it thrives in your garden.

Fotobloggen 2010 said...

lovely grass looks so soft, great SOOC

Christina, Sweden

Lavender Cottage said...

Great shot of the grass Val.
Judith

Janis said...

I am going to use more ornamental grasses in my flower bed next year, they all look so pretty. This one is a real beauty.

SouthernSass said...

I love ornamental grasses and this is lovely!

MarieElizabeth said...

I can empathize with your "but I didn't have this one" response in the garden area. I find myself doing that too. Also, to answer you question about my mint, I've killed mint before, although none of my gardening friends can figure out how!

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

I can see how you couldn't resist it. Lovely photo.

Poetic Shutterbug said...

This is beautiful.