Monday, August 29, 2011

Magic Mushrooms

jack-o-lantern-mushrooms-LR






 
Do you remember the Ikea commercial when the woman yells at her husband “START THE CAR START THE CAR”? I always laughed at that.  Well, the same kind of incidence happened this past weekend to me.  We were camping with our kids and their families in a Provincial Park an hours drive away from home.  My husband and I were in the truck going to the beach when I spotted this big patch of orange.  I couldn’t believe my eyes I thought it was a collection of kids toys there in the sand.   I yelled at my husband “Stop the Truck Stop the Truck” and out I went with the camera in my hand.   There in the sand was a huge patch of these bright orange mushrooms.   I later identified them through the National Audubon Society field guide to Mushrooms as a Tricholomataceae Agaricales or Jack O’Lantern mushroom.  The tops of most of them were at least 5-8 inches across and stood 6-8 inches tall in clumps. They are poisonous to eat.   I used Kim’s Magic 2 texture twice and removed the texture from the mushrooms. I may have done other things but I forgot to write it down.  Kim challenged us to find a photo of something orange. So putting the magic 2 texture on the Jack O’Lantern mushrooms make them magic mushrooms.  Hope you see the humor here.

Join us at Kim Klassen Cafe for an other addition of Texture Tuesday.   Have a great day.   I do hope everyone is safe from hurricane Irene.  She really was a wild storm.    Valerie

22 comments:

Ashley Sisk said...

THose do look really magical.

Pondside said...

They look like they're from outer space!....spaced out mushrooms?

A Creative Grace said...

Hehe! Yes, I do that too! I think our partners get used to it :) I love this photo, the texture and framing really work well to finish it off too, lovely.

johanna said...

i love your humor and the pic is great! wonderful old photo frame (do you remember where it is from?).

Teresa said...

Magic mushrooms . . . I love it!! . . . they must have been an amazing sight. I love the work you've done on them with the textures, you've created something really beautiful. Teresa x

deb duty said...

What a great find! Great photo and edit!

Deanna said...

Yes, stop the truck!! What a find, I have never seen anything like these before. Thanks for sharing and searching for the info. Beautiful!!

The Artful Diva said...

I love everything about this - great composition and choice of frame.

Karen said...

Wow, they are amazing mushrooms. Great photography, like usual, you're so talented!

Sivinden said...

They look a lot like tasty chanterelles! Poisonous or edible - they are magically beautiful;)

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

At least yours stoped the truck - not sure if mine would if he knew it was for a photo. What magical little mushrooms you've concocted Valerie.

Marty Mason said...

You were really in tune to Kim's orange to get this great picture. My husband would have been asking why and still be driving by this delicious scene! Supurb.

Anonymous said...

What a sight these must have been! Love what you did with them and so glad you stopped by my blog which lead me to your beautiful blog.
Thanks.

Kmcblackburn said...

Visiting from "Texture Tuesdays". WOW...I've never seen anything like that! Beautiful photo and texture use tho. They almost look magical...if that is possible :).

Kathy

A Box of Chocolates said...

beautiful shot again i love the magical flecks over the mushrooms

Becky said...

I like your mushrooms too!

Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Val
They do look like magical mushrooms! I'm glad you spied these and shared your photo.
Judith

Pat Mark said...

Great mushrooms. Yes, stop the car is a frequent cry in our car too. I don't think I have seen any mushrooms this large.

Unknown said...

Magic mushrooms - groovy!

Kathy said...

Wow...how lucky! What a fabulous photo and editing with the textures. Love this shot!

Unknown said...

They look just like Cantharellus cibarius which is the best mushroom ever for eating. Have you tried your magic mushroom to eat, did get high in magic land:)
Great editing.
Have a nice weekend

Lisa said...

Jack o Lantern mushrooms are said to glow in the dark. I've always hoped to see some.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omphalotus_olearius

Hoping You Have a Blessed Easter